Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Little Update On Us

Thank you for thinking of us this week and for the sweet comments, e-mails and messages. A lot of discussions have taken place this past week, and so we don't feel free yet to share. We are going to make sure there aren't any more discussions and things are finalized before we share but thank you for remembering us and feel free to continue to do so. We will share as soon as we can.

Another thing that has been going on with us is that I have been completely exhausted! When we first got here, I would crash about once a week. Sometimes I couldn't even wait until Keely's nap time! A remember a few times at the guest flat with Keely laying next to me playing the ipod or watching Sesame Street Podcasts as I was sleeping. One time I even remember her waking me up every few minutes to get her a new podcast (now they automatically go to the next one after an ipod update). It was probably normal with all of the new stimulants and walking and all of those fun big city things. In September my tired days grew. I found myself needing to nap with the girls a few times a week. Still I was thinking probably just part of living here. However, my exhaustion continues to grow -- I'm at napping at least 5 times a week with the girls! My joints also have begun to ache. In the past couple months I have had two three-day-episodes where I have hurt so bad and have been so tired. It almost felt like the flu but I didn't have a fever. The last episode was last week. It sounded like a few different possibilities and I went to the doctor last week and he seemed to agree. They ran blood tests and I went back today to get the results and everything is normal. The doctor is saying that maybe the episodes have been viral and maybe the exhaustion is from the weather. I don't know. It's a little frustrating, but maybe it's just the way of life of a mom with young children in a big city. If anyone has any thoughts or insights though I'll gladly take them!! I should be thankful it is nothing, but at first I was frustrated because it seems like all of this achiness, exhaustion, discomfort and pain is unexplained! Maybe it's just this phase in life!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Sara-I miss seeing you on Wednesdays! Sorry to hear about your exhaustion ): I can definitly validate that having two kids in HK is exhausting!! I hope you can figure out what is going on, but in the meantime, good to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless your heart. I will tell you that life with two tots is NOT easy. It does take extra energy.

    I can't tell you how many times I've needed to rest for a while when they go down for their naps.

    Plus, Hong Kong is a chaotic place to live. It takes a heap of energy to do anything.

    So thankful your medical tests came back normal. SO very thankful. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You poor thing! I bet that's hard! It kind of sounds like it could be fibromyalgia or c.f.s. (chronic fatigue syndrome)...or just being tired from taking care of two little ones in a big, chaotic city.

    I had been struggling with lack of energy and stamina for awhile too, and I finally joined a gym and started taking classes. I do feel a lot better--I was getting tons of exercise before just from living in a big city and walking/biking everywhere, but nothing that improved strength or endurance. Not suggesting you need more exercice though--just offering my recent experience. I hope you figure something out soon, or just start feeling lots better quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine - I miss all of you on Wednesdays too! I haven't even gotten to meet Annette! The tiredness and feeling overwhelmed is why I haven't made it - I tried doing one thing less to see if that helped! Maybe I'll make it at least once before the end of the year! I do agree that having two children and living in HK is probably a lot of the cause! I'm glad to know I'm not alone too! Monday night we saw Josiah and you MIL(?) at Snoopy's Park. Jordan recognized him and got all excited and went over to him. Josiah cautiously took a few steps back and went the other way!! HA HA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandra - It's good to hear that a lot of us mommies of two just need a little rest!!

    Morgan - I was actually just thinking that tonight (about doing extra exercise (ha ha - besides walking all over the city) -- now to figure out when to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry to hear about all that you have been dealing with, Sara! Know that we are thinking of you with it all. Being a mom of 2 little ones IS exhausting, and it is possible that is all it is. I needed lots of naps during that time in our lives too. But with the achy joints too....will be prying with you guys as you try to get to the bottom of it if it doesn't pass.

    One thing I have noticed with both Steve and I is that we respond to culture or transition stress with complete and utter exhaustion. So it could be the combination of 2 little ones and being in a new culture + new city...that makes me tired just thinking about it!

    Anyway, thinking of you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear of your exhaustion and pain, Sara! I thought Morgan's advice was interesting - might be worth a try. At first I thought you were about to say you were pregnant :) Have you ever heard of people taking glucosamine for joint pain? I just started taking it b/c when I run/jog a lot my knees hurt. Don't know if it would help you or not?
    Blessings!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete