What are some challenges to raising kids overseas?
It is a challenge raising our kids away from family, even though if we were in the States it wouldn't mean we would be near family. However, it was really hard when we returned in January to see how close Keely got to know everyone and then had to leave them. It's also difficult when it's a hard day or you need a last minute baby sitter.
Raising children in a different culture is also difficult. In Asian culture, it is common to give your opinion to a complete stranger or someone you don't know well and make them feel very small. Here in Thailand, they don't let their children cry (at least in public), but sometimes children have temper tantrums or melt downs and you get a lot of "you are an awful mother" stares. It makes it hard to stand your ground on things and not give in so you won't get stared at and muttered about.
It is also difficult admist all of the spiritual darkness. My girls are very sensitive and both Keely and Jordan can sense the enemy around certain people and they won't feel comfortable (now Keely sometimes loudly says they are scary). Keely has dealt with some bad dreams and "seeing" scary things in her room that I wonder has to do with the darkness here.
I know many parents that live overseas try to teach their children different things that are common to American children so that they will fit in, however, it's difficult for me to figure out what things are important to do that with and which aren't.
I'm excited that the girls will be global residents and will have a global view. I'm excited that at some point (it may be as late as when they start kindergarten when they are 5) that they will learn and hopefully eventually know another language. We hope that living over seas and being in different cultures will make well rounded and understanding people. Having children overseas also allows for a lot of opportunities to meet a lot of people I never would have and for people to see that I live here rather than just visiting. Hopefully that may even lead to some opportunities. I'm sure there are other joys to raising children overseas, but since ours are very young either I haven't seen some of them or just can't see them yet!
It will be hard to really know all the skills your sweet girls are getting by living overseas. They will surely be master's at public transportation!
ReplyDeleteGreat post! One of the things that I love is the language thing. I LOVE that Aashini will (hopefully) be fluent in another language - how cool is that! I love that she will grow up a more well-rounded person that isn't ethnocentric. It's so exciting!
ReplyDeleteIt's also very hard - dealing with cultures and darkness, it's hard... but it will be worth it all in the end!
I am loving reading your answers. The giveaway idea is great--I might have to steal that one myself. :)
ReplyDeleteThe spiritual darkness was the hardest thing about being in Thailand with kids for us. Aidan really sensed when things were off and "scary," and he does here as well, although it's not nearly as pervasive. Dealing with the darkness is hard, but it's cool to see how the Father uses that to reveal Himself and His love to them. We are starting to see that with Aidan as he compares the darkness he sees around him with the light and love of the Father.
Sorry to write a book!
Sandra- I totally agree with you. It'll be interesting when they all grow up and are in college and see what they have carried with them!
ReplyDeleteSouthAsiaRocks- I agree about the language thing and being less ethnocentric. The darkness thing makes us remember who we need to rely on every day!
The Everett Family- Feel free to use the giveaway idea...and the question thing has been a lot of fun along with everyone's comments about our answers. It's been fun to be interactive!
We are starting to wonder if the girls' room was used for idol worship or something. One night Jacob was in Keely's room when she got scared and he said he felt something also. She wasn't scared of so many things until we came back from the States! But you make a good point that it helps them see the light around them also. Thanks for the encouraging thought!